Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.

Ran fine then controller caught on fire. bought a new one.

Customer Question

ran fine then controller caught on fire. bought a new one. don't want to burn up new one. don't know what caused fire to begin with
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: 96 club car I think
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, fixing myself. i've mounted new controller and done nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

Look like this setup? Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage at the controller and the battery pack. 36 volt or 48 volt ? Did controller burn up from loose external connections?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No loose connections that I could find. I cleaned every terminal connection to eliminate corrosion on cart one at a time. Took sheathing of all wires off and cut off all wire ties off. Checked for any wires melted together but none. Followed online instructions to test the motor with 12v. Motor never moved in either direction. Stepped up gradually to 48v. Nothing moved. Cart was up in the air for all motor testing. Turning rear wheels by hand seems to have zero resistance spinning freely. Will comepletly rewire motor for testing in the AM in case I had a bad connection on test wiring. BTW all color coding of all wires seems to be as per schematic for 1995-1997 club cars. 250 ohm resistor on solenoid not tested. Diode on solenoid not tested. Solenoid not tested. BTW when I check continuity on the plus wire for battery bank to neg wire to battery bank with both removed from battery bank I get a dead short which seems odd to me. Battery bank reads 48v. All tests with key off and F/R switch in neutral.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

Not sure what you mean on the positive to negative test , with dead short, as posiitive to negative will be dead short!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

Looks like you still have some testing to go, but are close to ready to try it. If you attach charger now, does it come on? Charger always run voltage test , before it will turn on. If charger does work, would be long way to knowing all voltage points are good.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I put one vom lead on the wire that would normally go to the neg terminal of battery bank. I put the other lead of the vom on the wire that would normally go to pos terminal of battery. That reading is zero ohms.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

So it would be direct short. That is what it would be.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry, I had to stop due to darkness. I;ll try again tomorrow afternoon after work at 1. Thanks for the help. I'll state more then.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 days ago.

OK> Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Motor tested fine but I'm out of time and leaving nj for tennessee now. I;ll contact you in the spring
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Snow birds! OK>