Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

1986 ez electric. Lately the cart is losing power after 30

Customer Question

1986 ez electric . Lately the cart is losing power after 30 minutes ride. Battery light is very low at end. Repairman said it needs rewiring.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: After rewiring, no change, but NO HEADLIGHTS and NO BLINKERS.
JA: What is the model of your '86 electric?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the "repair man" said it did a rewire. WHen I got car back, the headligts and blinkers were gone, and car still has no energy. It charges OK but in 30 minutes of use, the batteries are very low, and energy is very low
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yesterday, during daylight after 15 minute ride, upon return, I smelled smoke, but thought it was someone else. Plugging to the electrical I left the cart alone. Upon return in 5 minutes, it wmoked from left rear, and as sonn as I unplugged it, and pushed out of the barn, I noticed the left front light was glowing mild yellow, although I had not turned the lights on.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

lights may be wired into wrong harness. Are lights 12 volts or 36 volts? But let's find out what is wrong with the battery pack and charger! Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery pack and each battery for same voltage? When you attach the charger , does it come on and battery pack voltage increase by 4 or 5 volts, from 36 to close to 40 volts? Does charger stay on for full 8 hour charge cycle?