Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a 2006 club car precedent. I took it off the charger

Customer Question

I have a 2006 club car precedent. I took it off the charger this morning to go for a ride. It ran fine for about 40 feet then came to a halt. Now when I press the accelerator it lunges forward a bit and I hear a clicking noise. If I lightly and slowly press the accelerator it will move a bit further before stopping.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery pack voltage and each battery? I think you have a bad battery or connection in the pack!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No but I can run to the local parts house and pick one up.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's a 48v cart. What should the batteries be reading?

Fully charged battery pack will be around 54 volts, and each battery if 8 volt battery will be around 8.5 volts, and if12 volt batteries will be over 13 volts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm getting a little over 12 on 3 of the 4 and 10.6 on one 48.6v across the whole thing

10.6 on one battery tells me that that battery has a dead cell and is affecting the whole set. Each cell in a battery is 2 volts, with only 10 volts, it may be bad battery. One battery will kill the carts drive.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you recommend changing the one battery?

One for sure, are all the same age? If over 4 years old, you really should change them all!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure I just bought the cart yesterday? Will it hurt the new one if I run it with 3 old batteries?

No, but batteries are like a chain with a weak link, the weakest one will bring the rest down to it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks for your help purchasing a new battery in the morning to see if that's the issue. If it is I will pay the rest of the money if not I'll be sending another question. thanks

OK> Sounds good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
new battery. Now all 4 are reading around 12.4. Backed the car out of the garage and made it about 30 feet down the road before doing stopping. Now I hear the clicking noise when I press the accelerator but it does not move at all.

Did you charge the cart before trying? 12.4volts on a 12 volt battery is not fully charged, a 12 volt battery will be over 13 volts. I would charge it overnight and see if all voltages come up and cart will drive!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I'll put it on the charger now. Will check back in tomorrow.

OK>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why would my brand new battery show 12.4 volts also?

Remember the weakest link, it is being drawn down to the weakest battery .