Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Golf cart

Customer Question

Golf cart
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Problem?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a 2006 Yamaha G16 36V golf cart. I recently paid a company to come to my house to diagnose the golf cart and he said the power was getting all the way back to the motor. From there I purchased a new motor and is still doing the same thing. The sill annoyed clicks and the reverse buzzer does sound. I tested the motor and motor is fine. What should be my next step? You helped me walk through my last problem a few years back and was hoping you were still on this site.

Check the solenoid , to be sure it is closing, just because it clicks, doesn't mean it makes the connection. Remove one cable from the main terminls, then energize it with foot pedal and see if it has continuity across the two main posts. Here is wiring diagram link below.

Are the batteries fully charged? They would read around 39 volts, fully charged. Charger works if plugged to the cart?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Spelling...Solenoid. Also what setting do I use on my volt meter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they are brand-new Trojan T105 batteries purchased four weeks ago

Set meter on OHMs, the horseshoe shaped icon.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok what reading am I looking for? And also does it matter what cable I remove from the selonoid?

With meter set on ohms, put the two leads together, that is the reading you want, when you test. I believe it will go from one to zero, zero being full continuity. It does not matter which cable you remove, But remove negative cable on the battery pack before removing, as 36 volts can make a big spark if you touch something!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK I will try this when I get home from work thank you .

oK>

Check all the cable connections at the solenoid, motor and controller looking for the full battery voltage on the cables. If one cable or connection is bad, you get nothing! The only thing that will not be battery pack voltage is the two field terminals on the drive motor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I am back.. When I disconnect the negative main battery cable to the battery pack and one main lead to the selonoid the voltmeter on the two small post nothing happens when I push the pedal. Does the key need to be on?

!! Oh, I guess that was not clear. Once you have the cable off the solenid and out of danger, yes reattach the negative so the solenoid is energized when you press the pedal!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok trying it now.

OK>

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That makes much more sense because the voltmeter only read with a L. But hooked the battery back up and there is continuity at the selonoid because it is reading 0.00 and that is the same reading when I touch the two leads on the voltmeter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To test ALL leads what setting do I put on the voltmeter? and I keep the negative lead on the main negative side of the battery and test that way correct?

This was test to check the solenoid only. Did you have continuity on the two large terminals of the solenoid when it closed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oops I though you ment the 2 small ones checking now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OMG there was a big spark now my selonoid will not click!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should it click with big lead off? Thought it did before but I hooked it back up and now it clicks.

I thought it would, but i have been wrong before! There is always battery voltage to both sides of the solenoid, I was trying to figure out if the connection was actually being made.?? The two small wires are what closes the solenoid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does click and when I retrieve the read it does show 0.0 as it should but different sometimes as it will spike up? I tried to send video but keeps freezing up.

OK< we are going to assume it is working. Now hook it all back up and then switch meter to DC volts, the top scale, to the right of the knob. Then check across the battery pack to see if it reads over 36 volts, then check the cabe points at controller, and motor and solenoid. All should read te same as the battery pack.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The battery pack has 37.8 V across. sorry for my ignorance but do I leave the negative prong on the voltmeter on the negative side of the main battery pack?

Yes, that would be correct, leave the negative attached while you use the red positive lead to do tests and probes!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I figured it out I do have 37.5V on the two leads that go to the controller both the Solenoid leads and all the leads which is four on the reverse switch.

And drive motor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
have exact current on all four leads of the motor . I feel like we're getting somewhere I do apologize but just trying to learn
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
remember I figured out how to test the motor and it is a brand-new motor but I did test it and all is good

OK, let's go back to the solenoid and bypass it by, putting both cables on the same terminal, in effect bypassing the solenoid, this is the same connection the solenoid should make. Then see if cart will do anything.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Both big cables correct? And does it matter which side? And do I put ALL cable on both sides as there is 2 on each side?

You want to connect whatever is on the two large terminals together, it does not make any differnce as to which side, Though I would like to use the battery side as the post to attach the other to. The posiitve cable from battery pack goes to the solenoid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok doing now

OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did it and nothing?

SO it makes no effort to work. Nothing forward or reverse. Does reverse buzzer still come on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
After doing that the reverse buzzer does not work and when I push on the pedal it makes a sound almost like a fading cricket? Also no more click on the selonoid.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When it is and forward gear it makes the cricket sound when you push on the pedal when I put it in reverse it makes no sound
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With the key off and in reverse when I push on the pedal it makes a reverse sound not consistently like it used to

?? OK , put everything back like it was!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did and now no reverse sound and does make a cricket sound and forward when you push on the pedal

Does the battery pack voltage drop at all when you press the foot pedal?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No stays at 37.9v
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The sound is like a very faint buzzer sound?

Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows two diodes, can you trace the wires and find them? The should have continuity in one direction only You would swap leads , while on ohms to test them.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know exactly where these are you want me to switch them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also have no more clicking sound on the selonoid.

No, I want you to test them. Ohm meter test, one direction will be open, the other closed.

See if the fuse is blown, it may have gotten damaged. That would keep the solenoid from closing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Meaning forward and reverse? And should the reading be 0.00 when pedal is pushed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The 10 amp fuse?

I think it only has one fuse. Diode test has nothing to do with f/r . Just test the two terminals on the diodes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Looks good

Use ohm meter to test the fuse, it should go to zero when you touch the two terminals.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Diodes are good and test over 505 on each testing fuse now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
fuse good and tested 00.00

Ok, diode was open in one direction, closed in theother?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tested both ways as I looked at a video on YouTube on how to test.

oK. I wonder why the solenoid is not clicking? Does the keyswitch have battery voltage? it has to power the system when on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It did when we started but when I switched both leads on selonoid it stopped?

Any power to the small terminals when pedal is pressed? Do you have voltage to the keyswitch?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have voltage to both.

If you have voltage to the solenoid , it should click closed.??

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will give it another go when I have time. Here in Florida dealing with these storms. Thanks again for your help.

OK>