Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have an EZ-GO electric golf cart that I am using (from a

Customer Question

Hello, I have an EZ-GO electric golf cart that I am using (from a neighbor) that has just been sitting for a while (one month or so...) and after checking and charging the batteries, I find that it hesitates when running forward or reverse.. The drive seems to be powered sufficiently, but the system will not drive more than a minimum speed. If I press the accellerator to call for more speed, it balks or hesitates and doesn't respond...
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No... the batteries are in good shape and holding a charge of over 6.0 vdc each..
JA: What year is your Golf?
Customer: I don't know for sure what year it is... The name plate says EZ GO TXT and the serial number is(###) ###-####
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked the battery voltages and after leveling the water inside each cell, charged them overnight. Then I checked for loose connections, and cleaned the positive and negative leads to the battery. Then I checked the solenoid and found it working fine - supplying full power to the controller. Then I checked the controller and the input seems to be responding fully to the pressing of the accelerator pedal. But the output from the controller (between the M and B+ leads) doesn't go above 6.6 volts... This does move the cart - very slowly...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, the motor controller is a CURTIS PMC controller (Part# *****) that controls an ADVANCED DC motor (Part# *****)
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Battery voltage at pack , fully charge 36 volt system, should be around 39 volts? What is the actual voltage? See the diagram below, it is basic system.

B+ should be full 36 volts ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I measured about 37.7 vdc today..

OK, that is what B+ should be. Same slow speed in forward and reverse? The foot ITS switch would be what I would change , it has to close the solenoid with it's internal switch and send the speed signal to the controller. Controller then sends voltage to the field terminals of the drive motor for speed.

See link above for ITS .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am considering your answer and while continuing to troubleshoot the cart, I found that the ITS (Inductive Throttle Sensor) is sending a signal to the controller of from 0.0 volts to 1.7v.. This is mentioned as correct on the schematics that I downloaded from the EZGO forum... I am also looking into the Solenoid which is supposed to have a 270ohm resistor across the contactor connections to supply the motor... There is no resistor and this may be part of the problem.. as the resistor supplies a "prep" voltage to the controller ?

It does need the resistor on the solenoid,