Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I just bought an excellent condition 1989 EZ Cart. The lady

I just bought an excellent condition 1989 EZ Cart. The lady said it worked fine we put it in our storage unit and bought a generator we plugged it in and it is not charging here are the controls in the front not sure what is wrong how do I fix and get it charging

Good morning. This is Ezgo with the mechanical speed control. How long was it in storage? Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? With each battery being six volts, the total pack should have 36 volts. Is the charger an automatic charger that should come on when plugged into the cart? If so, the battery pack has to have at least 30 volts for the charger to close the internal relay and start to charge.

If the voltage is too low to start the charger, the batteries an be charged two at a time with an automotive 12 volt charger, to bring the voltage up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
automatic charger. And we are using a generator. Is that 30v?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's been sitting dead for months

The generator will work to run the charger, but the charger will not start ,if battery voltage is too low.

Do you have a voltmeter or an automotive battery charger?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
automotive battery charger

The batteries are 6 volts, and you can use the automotive charger to charge two batteries at a time. Just attach charger with posiitve lead to the first battery and the negative lead to the negative lead on the second battery, charge two, then move on to the next two, until all six have been charged, then attach the cart's charger and it should start to charge.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I disconnect the wires from battery to battery? And just have two connected?

You do not have to disconnect the batteries, just connect charger using correct polarity. Positive to positive , negative to negative.

I owned one of these exact carts.

I see some corrosion on some of the cables at battery connections, you may want to check the cables and clean them up for good solid connections.