Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.

Occasionaly my cart would stop or hesitate, I would let up

Customer Question

Occasionaly my cart would stop or hesitate, I would let up on the pedal and depress it again and most of the time it would go again. Discovered corrosion on the terminals. Cleaned them up, but discovered bad cable, replaced it and it seemed to work fine. Yesterday I drove it about half a mile turned it off to get my mail and would not go. Pushed it out of the way and then put it in reverse and it worked fine. What would cause something like that to happen?
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: good question, I don't know the model or year. Purchased it used 3 or 4 yeats ago. It does have 6- 6 volt batteries if that is any help. It is an EZgo.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: It doesn't seem to be leaking and have not tested them with volt meter.
JA: What year is your Volt?
Customer: Don't know
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what I typed in the original message. A friend has been helping me.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

WIth cart the batteries are first priority. Need to get digital voltmeter and test battery pack voltage and each battery individually. A fully charged 6 volt battery should have around 6.3 volts. and battery pack will be close to 39 volts. Do you have the F/R switch that has the handle at your knee? If so , it is what makes the directional change, so if you have one direction, likley the switch is not making contact and would need to be rplaced or repaired. It can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned. Do you know if you have a controller or a set of resistors for speed? Year model of cat should be on a tag near the passenger glove box area.

It will be shown as a letter number combination, example F089, which last two numbers being the year model, in this case 1989.