Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.

Can you suggest what to troubleshoot on a 1988 ez go gas

Customer Question

Can you suggest what to troubleshoot on a 1988 ez go gas golf cart? It accelerates fine in reverse but will only go a couple mph in forward.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Have you unbolted the muffler to see if it is restricting the exhaust when in forward?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we did do that, I saw a thread online that suggested it. It also has all fresh gas, and the carburetor has been professionally rebuilt. There is also new spark plugs. Someone mentioned something about the coil. Im not sure if that would have anything to do with our issue?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
P.S. the exhaust smoke also seems to be blue in color, and also seems to be a pretty fair amount. This our first gas golf cart, so im not really sure if that's normal or not. I just thought it might be worth mentioning. Thank you so much for your help, I have 2 broken toes, and our campground is huge, so I would like to get it going asap, lol.

Do you have any history on the cart? Has engine being rebuilt? The coil , and ignition system works same in forward as it does in reverse. The difference is the way the engine actually runs backward for reverse. The starter spins it backwards and it starts in the opposite direction. Carburetor, and fuel pump, all work same.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually no we just got the cart yesterday from an old man that my husband works with. According to him it was working great, and then he cleaned it and now it's like this. I honestly don't think he cleaned anything, after looking at everything, nothing looks cleaned except the rebuilt carburetor. I tried to drive it again today, and it seemed nice and zippy for about 5 seconds, then it was kind of alot of blue smelly smoke, and was very slow again.

Is there oil in the gas, or does it still have the oil injection system working? If both, it may be getting too much oil in the fuel . Mix on these carts is only 100-1, anymore and it will start fouling the spark plug. Have you pulled spark plug?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

I see question is still open, did you find probelm?