Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a 1996 Gasoline Club Car Golf cart,which goes well 20

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Gasoline Club Car Golf cart,which goes well for about 20 minutes and then just dies out. I have replaced all the fuel lines and filters,cleaned out the carburetter and checked if the fuel pump works.I have also replaced the vacuum pipe from the engine to the fuel pump,but the problem persists.Could you please advise?
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Does the engine have spark when the engine dies and will not restart? If it is loosing spark, the ignition coil may be causing the problem. Common for the coil to heat up and lose spark, then work again after it cools.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Chris,Will the coil failure have the same result as though there is a shortage of fuel?What baffels me is that when the engine cools off,she starts and will run for 20 to 25 minutes.I can play 18 holes of golf where its a stop go situation with no problem,but as soon as the cart runs continuosly for about 20 minutes the cart seems to peter out.Could it also be that the vacuum air from the engine that drives the fuel pump gets hot and would effect the fuel supply?
Regards
George

The fuel pump is a pulse pump, it uses the pulse of the piston moving in the crankcase to power the fuel pump. Should not be affected by heat, unless the hose is collapsing.

Isee question is still open, did you try a new coil?

When it peters out does it have spark at the plug? If not coil is suspect.