Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have an issue with my gas golf cart, No....we thought the

Customer Question

I have an issue with my gas golf cart
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: No....we thought the battery was bad so replaced it and it started great for about a week and then nothing
JA: What year is your Golf Cart?
Customer: About 1996
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and just new battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Is there an alternator in a gas golf cart?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electric Vehicle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

The battery is dead? So the charging system is not working. what is cart make and model? On most carts the starter is also the generator. Later models can have alternator (stator) under the flywheel and would have a regulator/rectifier to change the AC volts to Dc volts, to charge the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yamaha don't know model...about 1996 year

See the link above, the Yamaha would have a starter/generator. It can be bad, or the voltage regulator could be bad. Do you have a voltmeter to check the output from the generator when engine is running? You may have to put cart up on jack stands to run and test. Generator should put out at least 14 volts, and can go as high as 18 volts Dc. The regulator would then send that , to the battery positive terminal of the starter solenoid.

I see question still open, did you see my response?