Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I purchased an older ezgo about 6 months ago. Person i

Customer Question

i purchased an older ezgo about 6 months ago. Person i purchased from told me that the he replaced batteries this last fall. I noticed that batteries are 6v farm tractor batteries and NOT golf cart or deep cycle. Everything seems to be working fine except driving time.... did some more research and found that the AH rating on batteries are around only 70 or so,, my question is i am planning on replacing the battery bank when i have the money but until then i was thinking of having a onboard smart 36v charger running on a separate battery constantly charging.. would something like this work to keep going and not half to recharge in 20 mins????? or should i just save the money and get the new batts first etc... also plan on upgrade to 1/0 gauge cable because that is what i have laying around. wondering how much that would improve performance as well... thanks
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What do you intend to run the charger off of?

It sounds like you are saying you want to set up a second 36 volt battery bank to charge the 1st one. If that is the case it sounds like a waste.. you would be far better off investing the money into a proper battery bank.

Or you are thinking of using a 12 volt battery hooked to an inverter to run a charger to charge them. If thats the case you would be lucky to regain 1/4 of your charge in the original batterys with your charge... inverters are not all that efficient and are only gonna work down to about 50 percent charge on your 12 volt battery which at best would be about the AH of one of your original batteries if you are lucky. But then you would have to calculate the lost power in carrying the extra weight. I dont imagine it would increase your drive time by much if any.

The upgraded wiring isnt gonna make much of a noticeable difference short term but it will reduce heat which in the long term may make your batteries last longer.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks