Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a late 80's model electric ergo textron 36 volt cart.

Customer Question

I have a late 80's model electric ergo textron 36 volt cart. Installed new batteries bc old ones were going out one at a time. Charged batteries but cart would only move slowly for a short period if any at all. Batteries will drain down overnight without even trying to run the cart. Disconnected all batteries and voltages appear normal. If controller is bad, the unit may not be worth the fix.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Does charger come on and show to be charging? What is voltage on battery pack when fully charged? Can you monitor the voltage on the battery pack when you drive cart, by using two long alligator clipped wires to get voltmeter so you can read as you drive? Is resistor is place on the main solenoid between the two cable terminals?
You have a Curtis controller? Not the old ressitor pack?
my response shows as customer again.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
38vdc across bank even when I run the cart. It is a Curtis. Innitially noticed terminals getting hot on forward reverse switch so I hard wired in the forward position. 250 ohm resistor is good. I replaced solenoid about two years ago. Did not lift diode to test but looks physically good. Motor and connections are cool to touch. Do you have a wiring diagram for this model?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Charger current is linear as the bank is charging.
I think this is the one. Maybe need to check voltage to the drive motor. I assume the brakes are not dragging and cart rolls free?
Here is link to troubleshooting all the components, scroll down the opening page past the manuals to get to the troubleshooting!
http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
praise Jesus, the cart rolls free as I've had to push it many times to get it back to the bank charger! I will check out the link referral.
OK, I will be out for about two hours.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you have any suggestions on where to buy parts I would appreciate it. I hate to trite this cart since it was my fathers. Thanks Curtis.
Any part you need can be bought on Ebay! And a lot less than a dealer. But on line sources like Buggy Unlimited are good source.