Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Club car electric: I have a club car golf cart that when plugged

Customer Question

I have a club car golf cart that when plugged into my charger the charger will not come on.. I have plugged the charger into another cart and the charger works fine... suggestions?
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
The charger connection on the cart doesn't have enough voltage to close the internal relay, that starts the charge cycle. Is battery voltage enough to run the cart? Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery pack voltage?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This started when I checked each individual battery with a volt meter. 5 of the 6 batteries showed in excess of 8.5 volts and the 6th one showed 7.8. I did this by disconnecting the battery cables. when I reconnected the cables and plugged in the charger it would not come on. The cart still moves on its own power (not well though). I did this because I thought the batteries were going bad, they were about 2 years old and would not make an entire round on the golf course. I am thinking that I need new batteries but if the cart will not allow the charger to come on then I would like to fix that problem first.
Check the voltage at the cart side plug. You may have bad wire between the cart receptacle and battery pack!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Did you find voltage to be low at the cart plug?