Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles: Bought new charger but it won't charge.

Customer Question

Bought new charger but it won't charge. it is a 48v system.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to check battery voltage on the cart? Voltage at the charger receptical on the cart, has to have close to 38 volts, for the 48 volt relay in the charger to close and start the charge cycle. The charger senses the battery voltage and if too low, will not start.
If batteries are too low, you can use automotive type charger to charge one or two batteries at a time, to get voltaage up so cart charger will start.
Did you get my response?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried what you said and it did not work. Batteries are all linked together, do I need to undo this before trying to charge?
Do you have 6, 8 volt batteries, or the 4, 12 volt batteries? You should not have to undo the batteries to charge them Did you check the voltage on each battery with voltmeter?