Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

MY CART HAS A FAIRLY NEW SET OF BATTERIES, ABOUT 3 OR 4 YRS,

Customer Question

MY CART HAS A FAIRLY NEW SET OF BATTERIES, ABOUT 3 OR 4 YRS, WITH VERY LIMITED USE. YESTERDAY WITH A FULL CHARGE THE CART CHATTERED OR STUTTERED WHILE GOING UP A GRADUAL HILL ON PAYMENT. ACCERATOR PEDEL WAS PRESSED COMPLETELY DOWN. I HAD ONLY RUN THE CART FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES AND THIS PROBLEM STARTED. THE BATTERIES HAVE WATER ALTHOUGH I COULD ADD SOME WATER.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Electric Vehicle Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: NOTHING
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electric Vehicle Mechanic should know about your electric car?
Customer: IT IS A CLUB CAR PRODUCT PROBABLY A 2002 MODEL. I REPLACED ALL THE BATTERIES WITH NEW BATTERIES ABOUT 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electric Vehicle Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage? How long does the charger run when charging? Needs to run around 8 hours for full charge cycle.

36 volt or 48 volt?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have a voltmeter. the charger runs overnight at least if not longer. the cart has 6 Trojan brand batteries. sorry but I don't know if its 36 or 48. some of the cells seem low on water. I have plenty of distilled water to fill all cells if that is the problem.

If you can see the plates in the cells, it needs water, but if the plates are covered, it does not need water/ If plates are showing, the battery can be damaged. usually the symptoms you describe is low battery charge.

I would recommend getting a cheap digital voltmeter, less than $10 at auto or retail store. And do a voltage test on battery pack before and after charge. 36 volt system will be around 39 volts fully charged, a 48 volts system will be 54 volts!

Did you get meter and check the batteries?