Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

My charger won,t shut off and boils the batteries. and i

Customer Question

My charger won,t shut off and boils the batteries.My name is***** and i have a 48 volt club car.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: when i plug the charger into the cart, it starts charging at about 15 amp and slowly backs down to about 5 amps ,but the batteries start boiling and the charger won,t shut off. if i unplug it for about an hour, till the batteries cool, than plug it back in, the charger will charge about 15 min., than drop to 0 and shut off.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Electric Vehicle Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, i just recently bought the cart and have only charged it twice
JA: Well, we require $5.
Customer: how do i pay you $5?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electric Vehicle Mechanic should know about your electric car?
Customer: it has 6 8volt batteries that are about 3 years oldand test about 47 48 volts when gharged
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electric Vehicle Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I would have all the batteries tested to see if one or more are faulty.If one or more are faulty it could be showing an incorrect charge level causing this here needing replaced as I have seen before.If the batteries test o..k. then this can indicate a fault with the charger itself with it needing replaced in some cases.This would have to be tested further to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete