Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

09 club car precident, has been sittibg a time batteries

Customer Question

09 club car precident, has been sittibg a long time batteries very low, but I got the charger to kick in, and cart did run yesterday. I continued charging overnight. This AM, charger off, and will not resume charging. Charger does click when plugged in. Cart does not move, reverse horn does not sound. Charge meter shows charge, and lights etc work.
Did I fry the obc? Or controller?
Thank-you,
MGM
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

More likely a bad cable or connection at battery pack or to the charger connection. Do you have a voltmeter to check the batteries and voltage points? What is voltage where the charger would plugin? Should be close to battery pack, 36 or 48 volts. What does each battery test at? Any one battery or cable will kill the system and keep charger from coming on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cart has a four battery 48 volt system. Three batteries at 12.4v. One I replaced this morning at 10.2. The replaced bat was at 8.3. All connections are good, as I said, lights work, charge level indicator shows good charge. No reverse horn. No cart movement in either f or r. No click in solonoid when pedal pushed. Im sure the charger timed out overnight, and shut itself off. Cart ran yesterday, but charge was low, so I continued charging overnight.
Thanks!

What is voltage at the charger receptical?

Club Car will have a fuse in the wire to the key switch. Do you have 48 volts to key?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cant check now as batteries are out, and i have back plate off to check fuses etc, all OK .

OK< Have you checked all the connections from charger connection to battery pack?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All was good yesterday, charger clicks when contact made, so I,assume those connections ar OK as well. Reverse horn worked yesterday, nothing Today.

Nothing from charger tells me there is a break in the primary circuit, the charger, through battery pack, back to the charger. Of course with the OBC on the Club Car, it can keep charger from coming on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My next step was to bypass the OBC. This should allow me to continue charging, but will it allow the cart to run? Im not real good with computers anyway.

Yes, cart will run with OBC bypassed. But I would be checking the voltage at he charger and primary circuit, after you put batteries back in. Don't take it for granted! Something that was conned yesterday, is not connected today!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will bypass obc and put back together, then let you know. Thanks.

OK> Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello again Curtis.
Obc bypassed, voltage at charge pins and key switch 48. Still no signs of life, except lights come on and charge meter lights. No solonoid click, no reverse horn. Im about to check out f/r switch.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
F/r switch ok, very simple, cant go wrong
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ive been working on carts for a long time. Sounds like primary circuit to me too, I just cant figure out where, unless it is in the controler, again a d"@&$d computer.

What is voltage at the charger plug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
48 volts

So charger should come on, and circuit is complete.

48 volts to foot switch from keyswitch, to engage the solenoid? No solenoid click, no voltage from foot switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok maybe, I didnt think of that one. Thanks

OK>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All pins except yellow show 48 v. Smehow the primary is not being energised. The reverse horn SHOULD sound when in R if power is coming through. Also the charger SHOULD start unless some higher authority is preventing it. All roads seem to lead to the controller, right?

Seems to.

charger not starter!

If you remove charger cover, and jump the internal relay will the charger come an put out amps?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Charger puts out full amperage when jumped. The fault is somewhere in the cart.

OK< so we know it is capable of charging!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My plan is to jump charger tomorrow and charge for a few hours whileI can watch it,to bring batteries up. Then??????

O, bring batteries up to around 54 volts an see if it will do anything. Jump solenoid if it does nothing and see if cart will run with solenoid jumped.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good morning, still no joy. Solonoid will click when jumped, I cannot access it with all parts in place to see if cart will run. Everything is mounted to aluminum acces plate. A friend here said that clubcars wont run without horn in system. I jumped the connections this AM, still nada. Many wires enter the controller, no power comes out.

Solenoid can click, and still not make the contact. You do have voltage into the controller? Just nothing out?

Cn you get meter leads to the solenoid? Does it have battery voltage to both sides? It should, and solenoid just makes the connection.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had to energise solonoid on both small leads to click, no voltage i did not jump large leads as tthe solonoid was doing that. Motor did not start, no power from controler I assume. Remember, cart did run the day before. With charger jumped and charging, I now get a fast beep from reverse horn, after a short charge. some warning I have not looked up in the charger instructions as I am replacing the wall of the work shop today, termites.

OK> just don't take the solenoid for granted. It may not be closing and making the connection.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing happens anywhere, except, a click comes from a relay when key turned on. No other signs of life. Horn now sounds with rapid beep when charging with jumped charger. One battery still low, but total voltage around 50. Charger is type that needs obc which is bypassed, making jump necessary.

OK, I would want to check voltage at the solenoid and jump it if it has battery voltage on the two large terminals.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried to jump solonoid when I had everything out and reassembled nothing yellow lead goes to controler.

Are you testing with a voltmeter?

Cart has MCOR, motor control regulator. It has two functions, one is to close solenoid, the other is to send signal to the controller.???

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
im using a volt meter. I assume this cart has some sort of computer in controller, as LOTS of wires go in, not like earlier, and simpler controlers.

Do you have battery voltage to both large terminals on the solenoid?