Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a 2006 Ezgo TXT golf cart. It has an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ezgo TXT golf cart.
It has an intermittent fault where it will not start again after stopping during a round. When I come back to it 2 hours later it starts and continues to run perfectly. Sometimes it will do 18 holes without breaking down and at other times only 9 holes.
I have replaced 3 solenoids during the last 12 months. This temporarily overcomes the problem for a few months and then it starts again. I am about to replace my 4th solenoid because it has started doing it again. By the time I can get a mechanic to it, it starts again, very frustrating!
I have replaced the heavy duty cables that carry the main current, checked the others for corrosion and ensured good connection.
My question is, what could be causing the solenoids to intermittently fail?
I considered overheating, but don't know how, maybe too much current? Someone suggested low voltage as a possibility.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage before use, and when it fails? Low voltage will burn up a solenoid.

Do you hear the solenoid click when it will not drive , as you press the pedal? If solenoid does click, it likely is the solenoid. And it may be failing because of low voltage to it from battery pack. I will assume this is 36 volt cart.??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a voltmeter.
36V cart.
Should I test the voltage across the battery terminals or at the solenoid both before use and when it fails?
I do not hear a click when the cart has failed and I hit the accelerator.

No click at foot pedal and solenoid, would mean foot switch (micro) or solenoid could be bad. Foot switch has to send battery voltage to the small posts of solenoid, for it to close.