Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a 2010 Club Car Precedent 48 volt golf cart. I

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Club Car Precedent 48 volt golf cart. I installed a lift kit this weekend and after I got it installed I went for a test drive and it want move, I looked at the solenoid and the Diode is burnt what would have caused this? I took the main battery wire off going to the motor and I took off the two bottom wires on the motor so I wouldn't touch them with the jack while it was holding the motor and rear end up. Any help
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you re-route the brake cable? If not, the brake may be dragging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and when the brake is off I can push the cart . when I connected the battery back up I smelled something and that is when I saw the diode or resistor that is on the solenoid was burnt
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The resistor does get hot, but should not get hot enough to damage itself. Just a bad resistor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it is the motor or controller? The two wires I disconnected on the motor can only go on one way (one is large and the other is small terminal). Also now when the key is off and I go to hook up the battery I am getting a lot of sparks only when it is in the run position and nothing when it is in the tow position
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter to test with. The solenoid may be the problem!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Remove one of the cables to it and see if there is continuity across it, should be none until pedal is pressed.