Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have an older model EZGO electric and an old charger got

Customer Question

I have an older model EZGO electric and an old charger got left in the rain and it was plugged in so it shorted out. I have a new charger and its 36 volt but I plug it in and the line voltage light comes on but the fan does not and it is not charging. Any ideas
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The new charger has a relay inside that has to receive around 30 volts from the battery pack, before it closes and starts the charge, do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage at the charger receptical? You may have to charge a pair of batteries with automotive 12 volt charger, to get voltage up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries have a charge, I mean I drove it out to feed the chickens but plugging it in to get a full charge for tomorrow the charger doesn't do anything except indicate line voltage. Does the receiver that charger plugs into ever have problems. I have volt ohm meters and can test anything just don't know much about electric golf carts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The plug side on the cart has to make the connection. But check it for battery voltage, it should read the same as across the battery pack. A bad connection or broken wire between the pack and the plug is all it tales for the charger not to get the voltage to close the internal relay and start the charge. Sounds like t is not seeing battery voltage when plugged in.