Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles Club cart ds: I have a 2000 club cart ds

Customer Question

I have a 2000 club cart ds d and d high tourqe hi speed motor controler is a ge 500 and hd forward reverse switch.. So my problem is this changed cables to big 4 gauge and now the cart makes the clicking sound coming from selinoid.. Yes it's a series motor... My engnition is going to v-glide the other to selinoid...
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
48 volts? Does charger come on? What is voltage at the solenoid? Do you have pack voltage at the solenoid, motor and Vglide? With new cables, you can have a bad connection,or a cable that was not crimped properly, and it only takes one bad connector or cable to kill the system! Was the cart working before the cables were changed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Curtis yes in the car it was working perfectly what I had done was just disconnect the negative connection on the battery because I didn't want our kids to drive the car because it goes so fast it's 20 miles an hour. I have been unsuccessful in trying to figure out the problem yes I do have voltage to the solenoid... I have even taken apart and cleaned the v gliders well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes 48 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes charger comes infact, last night I plugged in charger and normally it would cut off by morning? But it was still on, and regretting 8 volts and the batteries were hot.. But I had 6 gauge wires and chaned a couple out last weekend to 4 After we got back and I hooked cart back up just like it was and nothing just the big Click.. Motornisnbrand new two moths old...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
have 48 volts on both sides of solenoid when it clicks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before the click I have 50.2 to selanoid.. After click it reads lower than that...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
But do you have same voltage to both sides?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What does the voltage drop to? With no load from motor, there should be very little drop!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not home now but I can cram that tomarrow... If that's ok? I might just call you so that I can just get this thing running...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Call u tomarrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
oK, but best to use this format!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you. I would like you to handle this I saw one other issue you solved but mine I think will take some more testing.. Lol anyways will text u tommarow night
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would take a good look at the cables you replaced!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I will be here tomorrow! Good night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Curtis I will be home tonight! Will you be available?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
should be. Have to make short trip toWallyworld
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Curtis I am ready!!! Lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cables are all good and inspected! You want voltage from both sides of selanoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 50.9 on red side and 49.7 on yellow side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the solenoid close? Have you bypassed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put the jumper on both sides of large post and nothing still ticks their while pressing the gas pedal
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Take ohm meter and ohm each of the new cables. I wonder if one of the new cables is not made right? Maybe the insulation was not stripped and the connection is not being made.??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 50.9 volts across pack.. Can I test while they're attached to the battery pack
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it is on the battery pack, what other cables were replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only replaced the ones that connect the pack.. #6 beg. Going to the controller tested ok ... I do have a question though why is it when I depress the Excelerator the vaults drop ago from 49.7 50.9 coming out of the solenoid
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You will always have a small voltage drop when solenoid closes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am at a loss
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 49 volts to motor when Peddel is not pressed and 50.3 at the motor when it is??? Crazy
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The controller has to vary the voltage to the field, armature voltage does not change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what can I check now? F/R, key, controller? What are the three wires leading into the controller.... Curtis I am lost lol
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Two/run switch in run? have you thought about replacing the new cables with old cables, one at a time.? You have Vglide, and one solenoid and controller?Club Car has various systems, some have two solenoids.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Tow!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have no tow run, I have a a v-glide I have checked all cables for continuity: all good they are new cables coming from f/r and yes one cell annoyed. I just can't understand why I'm getting power to the motor and nothings turning that's why I was asking about the three wires going into the controller the 123 wire...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inhave a ge250 controller with three adjustments on top...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are some of the photos of the front and reverse swiitch, sell and d&d motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry ge500 controler
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Motor will always have battery voltage on the A1 and A2 terminals. The controller is connected to the motors F terminals, which is where the voltage has to vary. I'm at a loss as to what is going on. Has to be something so simple, it is being overlooked! I'm going to sleep on it. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will but last we spoke u said u had to sleep on it.. I agree it has to be something simple, but having difficulties
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm back home from short vacation. Did you find anything? If this all happened when the cables were replaced, I would go back and install the old cables one at a time to see if we overlooked something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to me replacing all the wires I went on vacation and just disconnected the main terminal on number six came back off of vacation hooked up number six and I have no at nothing just was a click. I did this somy children wouldn't drive it when we're on vacation. I am open to suggestions
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Power to the Vglide? Continuity on the Vglide? Full voltage to both Vglide and controller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let's talk vglide! Who can nick the continuity to that..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I personally think it's that IV glide has the red and green and white wire coming out of it also a three plug connector that goes to the controller for the onboard computer I'm sorry
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the input, to the output. Input will be easy enough to identify, then check it to each of the other tow wires , to see if it changes as control is moved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i have a blue and green coming out of vglide? With key off and and in gear white ohms it reads .3 when depressed..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full voltage to controller I not sure how tontest for that?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Meter black to negative battery cable on battery pack, charger end, red lead on the Vglide plug to test for voltage. Then unplug the Vglide, and do continuity test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the three wire plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the the plug coming out of vglide and blue and green?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure on the colors!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12 volts to the vglide
And and when I press peddle shows 0 or OL
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Where is Vglide getting 12 volts? Why is it not full voltage? Follow the wire back to its source.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction vglide is getting 50 volts in and out when pressed...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is the output closing the contacter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out out meaning the green wire that fields to the micro switch then to the seliniod? Yea
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
IK, how about output from vglide to the controller?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50 volts when pressed
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
any output from controller to the field of motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50!volts to red wire in terminal one on controller (they are labeled 1,2,3)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/phpbb/images/diagrams/club_car/95-03_48v.jpg
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the on board computer or the micro swithes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have three micros and a obc which the v glide plugs into
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
All micros open and close? Will the OBC do a reset?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They all click! Can I check which ohm
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Continuity check them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell continuity check for both open and close give me a few minutes I'll do that now you want all three microswitches done
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure, check all three
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok all three seem to open and close and have either a closed circuit or open depending on which direction
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do search and find Bypass OBC on Club Car, and see if cart will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me see what I can find I also have to get a new micro switch broke one of the tabs off also I did find a bad wire... We are getting closer thank you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK< I will be around!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK< I will be around!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing I did find strange is that the charger would not turn off last time incharged the cart, I have reset the obc several times.. Would a bad obc cause the charger not to turn off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it can.