Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Club Car Electric: - I own a 48V 2001 Club Car that started

Customer Question

Hi - I own a 48V 2001 Club Car that started showing problems a few months ago when the charger would never quite stop. The charging amperage dropped to a low level, but it never seemed to sense that the battery pack was charged. Several weeks ago, the cart stopped working completely. No forward or reverse. Battery pack was fully replaced 5 years ago with only light use since then. New batteries are Trojan brand. I replaced one fairly battery that showed 4 bad cells. The solenoid seems to be OK and clicks when the key is on and forward or reverse is applied. Multi-stop potentiometer seems OK. One thing I noticed is that even when in Run mode, the cart will no longer electrically auto-brake when it is pushed forward or backward. It appears CC went through several electrical architectures around this time, but this cart has the multi-stop potentiometer for speed control, the OBC, and the motor controller. I have a friend with exactly the same model cart and compared everything that I could using a Fluke meter. The battery pack is at ~50.5 Volts. and the in-line fuses mentioned in some of these posts appear OK. One of your answers mentioned that if it charges as all (which it does), then the OBC is OK. I think the fact that is doesn't auto-brake anymore is a big clue. Bad motor or motor controller? Any ideas?
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the solenoid with multimeter, you need to remove the cables from one side. then check for continuity when pedal is pressed. Just because the solenoid clicks, does not mean it has closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I re-checked the solenoid. It is an open circuit when the pedal is not pressed and a closed circuit when the pedal is pressed with the key in the ON position. Therefore, it seems OK. Thanks, Brian
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tired a computer reset?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc120-048-A_TN011-Rebooting-Club-Car-OBC.pdf
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking bad controller.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis - Hi - I tried the Alltrax inc procedure for resetting the OBC twice. During each time, the reverse buzzer did not come on as it should have per the procedure. The date on the reset procedure was 2007, so are you sure that this will work with a 2001 Club car? I definitely have an OBC and a motor controller. Dead OBC? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Brian
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try bypassing the OBC!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAulAzQR5Lg