Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

My new (to me) 2008 Tesla Roadster 1.5 allows me to set the

Customer Question

My new (to me) 2008 Tesla Roadster 1.5 allows me to set the maximum current from a charge station, with default and max of 70A. But the manual also says the car detects the charge stations output and adjusts automatically. So, why would I use the current-limiting function?
Thanks for your help.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well over 24 hours and no response yet... Hmmmmm
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. The slower the time you have to charge the better: it will increase battery longevity. So, if you have a few hours, it would be better to set the limit at which the battery will reach full charge when you intend to use it. The high current is used when you don't have time, and need to charge quickly.I would suggest that you stay in Standard mode and utilize the Roadster’s built in charge timer and current limiting options to find an average SOC that works for you. For instance, try starting your charge at a time that allows the car to top off to a level you are comfortable with right before you need to leave. Alternately, you can use the Current limiting function to adjust the amount of time it takes the car reaches a target SOC, or even a combination of these two options.