Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Club Car Gas DS: Club Car DS 2001 (Gas) Intermitant spark

Customer Question

Club Car DS 2001 (Gas) Intermitant spark problem. Sometimes it will start and other times it wont cold or hot.

Is anybody there ? DO NOT TEXT ME CALL ME !(###) ###-####r answer me here on the computer.

Thanks,  Tom  I have already paid using pay pal

Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Micro switches would be my thought. The one that is there to kill the engine when the pedal is released. It kills the spark, by grounding out the coil. If it does not reset, it keeps spark grounded! Best is just to replace the set of switches. Or remove the kill wire from the switch, and see if it starts every time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Curtis, I'll try that and get back to you.

Tom

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Curtis, OK I changed all micro switches from a good running club car of the same year amd still no good. The switches I took out of this one I'm working on worked fine In the other club car but still no spark. It did fire one time and then nothing again.

Tom

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the wire from the kill switch to the coil!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Curtis, Where is the kill switch and the coil ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
kill switch is the micro switch. Coil is what the spark plug wire comes from!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK in order to check the complete wire I will have to tear the side of the engine cover off and exhaust. Isn't there an easier way to check this ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the wire from the coil and see if it runs!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Curtis, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but I have been out of town. I checked the wire and disconnected it and it made no difference. It just starts when it wants.

I can take it out in the lot and it will run good and then I stop and It might not start again. Can you help me ?

Thanks, Tom

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The spark needs to be checked when it will not start. If it loses spark, then the coil may be the failing component. Get you a spark tester and check for erratic spark or no spark when it acts up. If spark is ok, then the carburetor/fuel section would be next! Do you have electric fuel pump or the standard pulse pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already tested it with the spark tester I've left the spark tester on the engine and when it wouldn't start it showed no spark or when it was running and quit it shows no spark. it's just very intermittent I think I'm just going to take it to the dealer and be done with it. thanks anyway, Tom

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds like coil to me!