Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles EZGO: I have a 36volt golf cart that will

Customer Question

I have a 36volt golf cart that will not go. Before it completely quit, I would toggle the run/tow switch under the seat and get it running, but as soon as I let off the peddle, it would quit again. I would mess with the switch for a minute and get it to go again. Finally got it home and parked. Now, no matter what, it will not go.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try bypassing the solenoid, use a jumper cable to tie the two large terminals together. This is the same connection the solenoid makes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I use car jumper cable or do I need to go buy a battery cable? If so, certain gauge?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Use can use a car jumper cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I connected the two large terminals and tried the pedal again and cart did not run.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
let's try again. Does the charger come on when attached to cart? You say you have 12 volts? Should be 36 volts, no 12 volts anywhere! Do you have 36 volts across the battery pack? All cables and connections good? #6 volts to the drive motor A1 and A 2 terminals?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
36 volts to the motor!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, charger comes on and charges batteries. Yes, I'm getting 36v across the main + -. I thought there was a 12v output somewhere for stuff like lights/radio/etc.

The cables are fairly new looking. When I started messing with it a few weeks ago, I noticed a small amount of build up on a few terminals and cleaned them up. When I get the chance, I guess I'll take every terminal loose and clean.

But just by looking over them, they do not look bad or corroded.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
tug on them to see if they are corroded!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmmmm. Might have found the culprit. This is the wire to the main +. Looks a little crappy. All others look good and don't move when tugged.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
worth a second look!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced the end and I have same result. Will not run.

Can't see where I've mentioned it, but when I put the switch in reverse, the backup alarm does sound. Not sure if that helps narrow down the search.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Foot pedal has micro switch that has to close for the solenoid to make the connection, and it has a rheostat type control, that has to work the controller. Is the micro switch clicking? Is the output from the rheostat changing, when measured with an ohmmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't taken the mat up to get to the switch. But I did get down to the pedal and as I pressed it slowly, I can hear the switch clicking.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check voltage at the small posts on the solenoid, to see if it is getting voltage from the foot switch!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I unplugged the cables from the large terminals and got 0 ohm when pedal pressed. I tested the small terminals and got something like. 4v

I hear a click at the pedal but nothing from solenoid

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So the foot switch is not closing the solenoid. Foot switch has to have full 36 volts. Voltage should come from keyswitch,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying to figure out how to test foot switch for voltage. I've connected - + to the microswitch and there is continuity. I've connected to the white/black cable of the speed controller in the same box and am getting no voltage when pedal pressed.,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Had my dad come help me this morning. We have determined the solenoid is good. Used jumper wires and got 36v and the large terminal was around 3 ohm.

With microswitch closed (pedal up), we get 15v. Pedal down, goes to 0 as I think it should as the circuit is opened. Never could get a reading from the black/white wires connected to the pedal sensor.

I'm at a total loss as to what to try next. I know you say foot switch should have 36 volts, but I have no idea where to connect to find out if it does. There is NO good webpage about the subject.

What I can find refers to BL + or M terminal on controller. I have NO idea what these are and can find no information to tell me otherwise.

I'm willing to spend extra money on an answer, just need clear instructions/direction.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Look at the diagram I included earlier. It shows the foot switch to get voltage from the key switch.Follow wire back from foot switch and look where voltage is being lost. It will not work with less that 36 volts! Voltage for keyswitch comes from the switch that the charger plug opens and closes when the charger is plugged in and removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, think maybe the keyswitch is the problem. I used the following from another webpage I found to test the switch. I got NO 36v from either wire on the back of the switch with key on or off.

Default Re: test an ez go key switch

Testing the switch is simple. test the total pack voltage. Remember this number. Hook the black probe to the 36v- on the battery pack and the red probe on the back of the keyswitch. on 1 of the wires at the back of the keyswitch you should see constant pack voltage, on the other wire, you should see voltage only when the key is in the on position.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No voltage to the key switch! Keyswitch is likely good. Follow back to the charger plug and check the switch that powers the keyswitch!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I made a huge mistake. I later realized that I had the switch on "tow". When I switched back to "run" I got 36v at the key switch :(

What should be my next item to check?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is Ezgo site, showing troubleshooting of the components and drive motor. When you go to site, scroll down the page to find the trouble shooting section. Check each component and see what you find.------------------------------------------------------------------http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm