Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles Ranger 400: Battery fluid correct, fuses

Customer Question

Battery fluid correct, fuses seem to be ok, but our 2010 EV shuts down occasionally and won't restart. Have disconnected (unplugged) from converter to reset. Worked ok a couple of times but didn't yesterday. What are possible problems?
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is this an on board charger or a plug in , like a golf cart? With charger not showing green, O wonder if the voltage is correct to the charger terminals? Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltage at the battery pack and at the charger leads? Is this 48 volt unit? If it is, the charger has to see around 36 volts before the internal relay will close and start the charge cycle. I would check each battery and be sure each has very close to the same voltage. With a 2010 model, the batteries, if original, are near end of their life span. I think you have a battery or cable problem, and the voltage is too low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a plug in charging system. I don't have a voltmeter. Everything was working fine, including charging, the day before yesterday. Would a fuse be the problem? I found three 20amp fuses hanging below the seat today when I was checking the batteries. This is in addition to a central fuse box under the hood. The temperature has been hot here as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries are only a couple years old I think. The second set.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Get a voltmeter, less than $10.00 at retail store or auto supply. Then check the charger port to see what the voltage is. Should be very close to the UTV's battery pack. If less, start checking each battery and cable, as the problem is in the primary circuit.