Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles 1988 ezgo: I have a 1988 ez go electric golf

Customer Question

I have a 1988 ez go electric golf cart. Drove it, parked it, came back a week later and it will not move, does nothing. Batteries are charged. What to look for?
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you plug up the charger , does it show to come on and charge? That would show the primary battery circuit is complete. Do you have a voltmeter to check the system? Do you get any click from the foot switch or solenoid when you push the pedal? Do you know what kind of control do you have? Mechanical with a resistor pack?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Charger, yes. Voltmeter, yes but have no clue what to check. No clicks at all. Control, original so I assume mechanical wit resistor pack. I am sorry, I do not know squat about these carts.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Reverse buzzer work? You have a single solenoid at the area behind the f/r switch, it has to close , to power the foot control contacts. There are micro switches at the f/r switch that have to complete the circuit to the solenoid. Do you have a jumper wire with alligator clips to jump the solenoid? From the battery post to the small switch terminal. This should close the solenoid. If you can get the solenoid to close, see if cart runs. If it does, you have problem with the micro switches. Here is link to the wiring diagram. Left click to highlite link, right click to go to it.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/cgi-bin/gallery/gallery.cgi?func=show&file=200331&Category=100013&Page=1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

reverse buzzer works. Have jumper, which batt post and which post on solenoid?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The battery post on the solenoid, to one of the small post on the same solenoid. Left post with cable, to the small white wire terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, when I jumper the solenoid, turn on the key, and from the neutral position of the f/r switch put it in reverse the cart starts moving in reverse without touching the foot pedal.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, been flooded and out of electricity for the last 30 hours! We know the cart will move. We need to get the solenoid to close when foot pedal is pushed. With cart moving with out foot pedal, is the foot pedal in the off position, or is it touching a contact? Did you look at the wiring diagram I linked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear about flooding. Yes I looked at the wiring diagram. I think I figured it out, it is now working. I worked the pedal in and out and I think the copper contact was not making good contact with the copper buttons on the card. It appears to be working but I think I am going to change the card, solenoid, and the contactor in the pedal. That way I covered it all. Since it is an old cart the contactors may be worn. This may be a stupid question but this is a 36V cart correct?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is a 36 volt cart. My first electric was this setup. The resistor pack is what regulates the speed. There are three resistors and as the pedal is pushed, each comes into play, as the pedal connects the next cable, when pedal is at the maximum and on the last contact, the resistors are bypassed and the cart gets full power. Please rate and accept to close the question. Thanks!