Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

Electric Vehicles Freedom: How do I recharge a dead battery

Customer Question

How do I recharge a dead battery on E-Z-Go Freedom golf cart. New powerwise charger not triggering.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is battery configuration? 6, -6 volts or 6, 8 volts or 4, 12 volts,? Do you have the other charger? Do you have an automotive battery charger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The configuration is 6, 8-volts. The Powerwise charger is the only charger ever used with the cart. I just replaced it with a brand new Powerwise and the batteries are still not charging (no hum from the Powerwise, as I have noted upon plugging into cart in the past). I've arranged to get a dealer to pick up the cart for servicing. I cant tell if the water level is low, and am not really qualified to determine if the level in the cells is too low. I also dont know how to jump batteries of this nature. This was not an easy answer, that's why I tried you. In the end, I suspect you are going to tell me what I already know, which is the cart is going to have to be professionally serviced to get the batteries going again. Hoping that they dont have to be completely replaced. :(
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Actually if you can get the cover off the old charger, you can take a jumper wire and bypass the relay in the charger, a two post relay on the circuit board. You just jump the two terminals together and plug in the cart to the wall plug, then plug it to the cart. The charger will start charging the battery pack. Is this something you could do? Once the batteries charge for awhile, the jumper wire can be removed and charger relay will take over,and charger will work and cycle. It can be done with the new charger, but I hate to see you go into a new charger.