Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I am a medical student and few of my fellow classmates

Customer Question

I am a medical student and few of my fellow classmates failed a course. In previous years, a standard was set and all kids passed with a "c" or better. This year , they did not follow that same president that had been set. After a few of my classmates complained, the school changed their grades to a "c" from a "F".
My grade was never changed and I had the exact grades that they had. The standard was not followed across the board. Now I am in jeopardy of repeating the entire year or being kicked out because of this grade. If the university does not follow the same standard across the board, can I file a lawsuit against the school?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless you can prove the only reason they did not change your grade was based only upon your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, the court will not get involved in a grading dispute, even if the school did not follow some precedent that they had in the past. The courts hold they will not stand in the shoes of the educational facility when it comes to grading. So grades are solely up to the school and dean unless you can prove one of those unlawfully discriminatory reasons I mentioned at the outset.
So your recourse is going to the dean and filing your own complaint to the dean that the other grades were changed and your grade should have been changed as well and perhaps this was a mistake. Otherwise, you have to prove that the reason they will not change your grade is only based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and in that case you could sue in court over this.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am a 1st year dental student. Me and my friend failed 2 courses. Because the teachers liked her. They changed both her grades to a "c" from a "F". Now she gets to move on to the next grade. We me on the other hand, they want me to repeat the entire year. Is this legal if the grading practices are currupt?? Is there anything I can do??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Unless you can prove this was done based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, the only thing you can do is go speak to the dean and appeal to the dean, because the courts will not hear any cases involving a dispute on grades.