Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My student loans are on default. Who can I talk to help me

Customer Question

My student loans are on default. Who can I talk to help me with it.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) What state are you in?

2) What kind of loans are these (Perkins, Stafford, private, etc)?
3) What can I answer for you, specifically?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, the loans are I believe Stanford and private loans. They are calling me and threatening me and I just need to know who I can ask for help to get it either gone or settle a monthly payments. I am in California. It's stressing me out.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Well first of all, Stafford loans have a lot of options:
www.moneyunder30.com/stafford-loan-repayment
Specifically, someone in your situation may wish to consider applying for IBR, perhaps. For eligible borrowers, IBR loan payments will be less than 10% of their income and then after 25 years, the rest is forgiven. For this and other options, see here:
studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven
Government loans like Stafford are very manageable.
For private loans, I am afraid there are less options. However, most private loans DO have deferment and other options - talk to them about negotiating a repayment plan - they normally will work with you.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.