TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Look I recently had a Levy placed on my checking account

Customer Question

Look I recently had a Levy placed on my checking account from a Law firm and collection company in the amount of $4,300.00. my monthly pay check. I am unable to pay my bills at this time. I call the Agency and waiting for another agreement to pay my student loan. The amount owe is $15,000.00. I was making payment for 2 years of$200.00. The agency requested my banking account information. It was to them however it was misplaced. I currently live in Los Angeles and work in Bakesfield as Psychologist in one of the prisons. I never did receive any notification regarding the levy nor any email. The agency is not aware of my full time job, I was self employed for 10 years as Social Worker until I received my Psychology degree. The agency would definitely come after me if they know my place of employment. What can I d
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 29 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, student loans are one type of debt that just about never go away. A bankruptcy can help in the short term because it can stop any garnishments or levies. However, even if you were to file for bankruptcy, the student loans would survive and you'd still owe them afterwards. It definitely wouldn't be a long term solution. The long term solution is that the student loans must be paid.

Accordingly, if I were in your shoes, I would contact the creditor and ask for a payment plan. It sounds like you may have already done that. If so, then you are on the right track. You need to get into a plan that you can afford, and then you need to keep paying it.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't rate me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.