Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

LAUSD official removed cumulative records from school and

Customer Question

LAUSD official removed cumulative records from school and shared information from one of them with a CIF official. Is that a violation of FERPA.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Los Angeles, California
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I spoke to counselor at school who suggest I reach out to an advocate regarding FERPA violation.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: CIF is using the information obtained from LAUSD to try and ban our football from playoffs that begin in two weeks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
CIF is a statewide organization that was established to enact and enforce rules and regulations governing secondary school interscholastic athletics in the state of California. In order to enforce compliance with rules and regulations, they have a right to access the educational records to determine eligibility. FERPA prohibits the disclosure of educational records for without legitimate educational need or without parental consent. However, participation in CIF activities requires player eligibility and as such CIF has a legitimate educational need in enforcing compliance with eligibility standards and rules and sharing them with CIF is part of that compliance.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.