socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My son attends a Jewish Private High School. There were a

Customer Question

My son attends a Jewish Private High School. There were a few different incidents involving a chat and a school trip. My son was expelled and about 25 kids suspended. (Total of 125 students in the high school) They say the reason he was the only one expelled was because he was on probation (which he was not) They are trying to make an example of him. The parents of the suspended students are also quite angry as the punishment does not fit the crime. I am trying to meet with the Board now. Is there any legal action I can take? The punishments do not follow the school handbook.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: We met with the Principal but since he made the decision it is very hard for him to now reverse it. I would like my son back in school but I am concerned that they will find any little thing to expel him now. He will have to go on probation if I can even get him back in the school. He is a descent student, respectful, does his work and behaves in class.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 month ago.

At a private school, your rights and obligations are provided by the enrollment agreement, which undoubtedly refers to the school policies as being part of the contract. If you can show that the school is not following its established policies, then that would be a breach of contract and you would be entitled to damages for the breach. Damages would be the tuition costs, plus value of lost educational time and emotional damages. And, if there are 25 students involved, then this could be a pretty valuable case, dependent upon the total effect on your child's and the other students' welfare.

You'll need a lawyer who is experienced in pursuing contract disputes and wrongful injuries. For a reputable referral, see this link.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!