Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Can a college place a due date for tuition that is prior to

Customer Question

Can a college place a due date for tuition that is prior to the tuition bill hitting a student account? I recently had my tuition hit my account on april 12th, with nothing informing me that I had to pay some out of pocket expenses. Weeks later I notice in my account that they said "Your next payment of $..... is due on 4/4/2016. Prior to that semester my account was $0. How can they just make up a due date before tution is charged and place said due date on my account, after the date has passed?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

This does not seem appropriate as you are not being given any notice and time to pay the bill before the due date. It is the student handbook that governs billing policies and also governs when and how those may be changed. You will need to look there first to see if the school has violated one of its own policies and then you can write a letter to the dean pointing out the school's error and ask for them to correct it. If that does not work, then you may be able to sue the school in a declaratory judgment action for a court establishing the proper applicable policy and due date as the handbook serves as a contract between the school and its students.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.