CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Can you such the US Department of education after the

Customer Question

Can you such the US Department of education after the statute of limitation has pass if you were a minor at the time?
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you sue the US Department Of Education after the statute of limitation has passed and were underage at the time?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

I do not participate in the forum's phone call service (you can post a request for our "Premium Service" and your request will go to experts that do participate in that service, and they will contact you with additional information and the fee for a phone call). But I did notice that your post has been pending for some time, and I believe I can assist you on our "Q&A" forum.

The statute of limitations is "tolled" (Paused) for minors - so it does not start "accrue" until you reach the age of majority (18 in most states).

You do not provide the state in which you are living or plan to sue, so I do not have the detailed information for you appropriate to your state, but the tolling information is applied in all states. If you provide me with your state, I can provide you with more detailed information.

• Also, please keep in mind, this is a "general information forum" and this cannot substitute for formal legal advice, I caution people asking statute of limitations questions especially because it is often more complex than identifying the statute and the date of injury - many times there are arguments about why the statute should not be calculated in a certain way or why there are exceptions, but this takes a careful review of all of the facts in your case and a local attorney can provide this for you - most plaintiff's attorneys provide free consultations for clients.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Washington DC and can US department of education be sued in small claims court located in Washington DC?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still there?

Customer, I am trying to type an answer for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok

In DC the statute of limitations for minors is tolled until the age of 18. So it will start running on your 18th birthday.

You will need to sue the United States in district court (not small claims), and most claims are brought in federal court, or the Court of Federal Claims (the US Federal "small claims" court), see: http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what type of claim would I file for a premise liability? example tort,personal tort
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still there ?

Premises liability is a tort claim.