Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
93452170

The Ga Professional Standards Committee is the governing

Customer Question

The Ga Professional Standards Committee is the governing body that insures Ga Public Schools comply with State Laws and Ethics.However, their complaint system takes a minimum of 60 days.Is there anyway I can compel them to hear a complaint immediately?
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is someone working on this question?
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 3 months ago.

Upon a review of the GaPSC's rules, there does not seem to be any mechanism for an accelerated hearing of a complaint or for an expedited hearing. As an attorney who has dealt often with governing bodies such as the GaPSC, I can tell you that it would be very rare to have an expedited process such as what you seek. The reason these matters often take a minimum of 60 days is because there are serious career implications at stake for the person complained against. For that reason, the person complained against will be provided every opportunity to provide a response to the complaint, to retain an attorney if they desire, and to request a hearing if desired. For these reasons, its very rare that the matter is completed with the 60 days.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions after rating. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not looking for an expedited resolution I am just wanting an expedited decision as to whether they feel the case has merit and start the investigation

Got it. There is no mechanism or rule which allows for an expedited decision to start an investigation, but you can certainly make the request. The decision as to whether to investigate is determined solely by a vote of the Commission at one of their monthly meetings. They meet the second week of each month. You can certainly contact them and ask them if this matter will be considered at the September meeting, but my sense is you'll be waiting at least until the October meeting, depending on when the complaint was filed.