Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

I am requesting Colleen Grad In Ga, are schools compelled to

Customer Question

I am requesting Colleen GradIn Ga, are schools compelled to maintain bullying investigations?2nd question, In GA has a complaint ever been heard in a local superior court , By that i mean, can a complaint be heard in a local Superior Court that has complaints of both state and federal laws?
Category: Education Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Colleen Grady is her correct name
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I have been an attorney for 27 years and have worked in the field of Education for 17 years. I will help you with your questions.

Yes, Georgia schools must investigate if bullying is reported. Here is the Georgia Department of Education Policy statement:

"The following actions will be taken when bullying is reported:

1. Investigate Upon receipt of any report of bullying, schools will direct an immediate investigation involving appropriate personnel. The investigation should begin no later than the following school day. The investigation shall include interviewing the alleged perpetrator(s) and victim(s), identified witnesses, teacher(s) and staff members and reviewing video surveillance if available. School police, school counselors, school social workers and/or other support staff should be utilized for their expertise as determined by the circumstances of the matter."

Here is the entire policy statement handbook: http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/Curriculum-and-Instruction/Documents/GaDOE%20Bullying%20Policy_May%202015.pdf

I am not sure of your complete second question. The Superior Court of Georgia would deal with lawsuits involving state law. Federal courts would deal with questions of Federal law. Yes, there have been cases based on bullying filed in Georgia Superior Court.

https://mgtvwjbf.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/emanuelcountyschoolsprayercomplaint.pdf

This is a case of bullying by a teacher filed in Federal Court because it concerned the 1st Amendment