rayanswers
rayanswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years representing children and parents.
8534270

Our son is 16 and this will be s second iep. Can we s

Customer Question

Our son is 16 and this will be his second iep. Can we his parents make changes to his iep or does the team need to agree to them?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You can as parents seek changes in the IEP. The team would be involved at the meeting but they should agree to them if they are in the best interests of your child.

You need to hold firm if there is any resistance.As the parent you are in the best position to know your child and what works for them.The IEP is created through a team effort reviewed periodically.The IEP describes how the student learns, how the student best demonstrates that learning and what teachers and service providers will do to help the student learn more effectively. As parent in my mind you are key as the child's advocate.

You may schedule an ARD meeting here to discuss the IEP and changes you want implemented.ARD is an acronym for Admission, Review and Dismissal. Other states call these meetings IEP Meetings. Ideally you want to try and have the ARD meeting prior to school starting so the changes are implemented here from day one.You can contact the principal to set up such a meeting.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

You would call principal here to set up the meeting and follow up with a written confirmation.As per our phone call today I am requesting an IEP meeting to discuss changes in my sons IEP. It is my belief that these changes are in the best interests of my child and having such a meeting prior to start of school year is the best way to proceed.

Something like that as a follow up letter.