Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My child has severe anxiety. I had a 504 plan written which

Customer Question

My child has severe anxiety. I had a 504 plan written for her which covered absenses and tardies. I obtained Dr. notes for all absences prior to implementation of 504 but was not asked for any after nor did I know I needed them since it was listed in 504. Now the last day of school they tell me she will need to complete summer completion not for grades as she passed all classes but for absences. How is this possible?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and in the field of Education for 17 years. Can you tell me:

• What state is this?
  • What school is this?
  • Can you attach a copy for the 504?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is the state of New jersey and the school is Clearview Middle school in Mullica Hill, NJ. I do not have the 504 on me now but I know that it clearly states she may be absent frequently and that I am responsible to obtain missed assignments and to stay in contact with teachers which I did. I can attach a copy on Monday as I need to get it from the Pediatrician.

A doctor's note is evidence for the 504 Plan. This 504 Plan is created by the school. I would need to see that document. This will indicate the accommodations granted by the school. It will also be helpful for me to see the doctor's note.

Give me a little while. I will draft a response with information on how to address this.

Can you tell me who was at the 504 Meeting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I met with all of the teachers as well as the counselor and the Vice Principal was involved. This was a several month process and they requested she see specialist for GI and Allergy (which I did) before they took the recommendation of her Pediatrician that she's been seeing for 14 years. The 504 was amended twice and they asked me to provide a note for each absence prior to that official implementation of the 504 which I did.

I am researching how you can file a disability complaint with the NJ Department of Education. That is why I am asking you questions.