Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

Ms. Grady, do I have legal rights to my son's school

Customer Question

Hello Ms. Grady, do I have legal rights to my son's school file? If so, how long do I wait until I receive them? If I never get them what can I do to get the records? It's a private school .
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Give me a few minutes and I will have a response for you.

You may have access to your son's school file in a few different ways. It depends on different factors.

• First, if this private school receives federal funds, you may be entitled to the records through FERPA or the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Most parochial or private schools on the elementary and secondary level do not receive federal funds. I am not sure of your son's level of education.
  • You make be entitled to your son's records under contract law as private school education falls under this area of law. If you check your parent/student handbook, there may be a section of student records. If this section states you are entitled to the records, then the school must provide the records to you. Most schools provide a policy of asking that requests be made in writing. Also, the policy should state the waiting time for the record.
  • There may be a state law that permits you access to your son's private school records. If you tell me what state you are in, I will research this for you.