Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

We submitted admission to the private school in Houston

Customer Question

We submitted admission to the private school in Houston for our 4 years old son and paid 200$.
Also as they requested we paid 200$ for the 3rd party assessment.
After 2 month wait they decline our application with no reason.
The reply was:
"I am very sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer your child admission for the 2015-16 school year. The admissions committee conducts its deliberations with the utmost care and relies on the evaluation criteria for placement. It is our goal that a child be placed in a learning atmosphere befitting that child's needs."
Is that possible to push them to get a valid reason. Which will help us to understand where we have gaps. And can we request official letter of denial. They told us that e-mail is only they will provide. Also they do not want to disclose assessment and previous school recommendation.
Thank you in advance,
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You can certainly request reasons and explanations but there is nothing that requires them to provide it under the law. It is possible that there is something in the documents which requires they provide a detailed explanation but I have seen several applications for private schools and have never seen one that requires the school to provide a detailed explanation. Since there is nothing in the law that requires them to provide a detailed explanation, then the only way to get it would be to file some type of lawsuit against them and then get the information through discovery, either interrogatories or a deposition. To get to that stage you will have to have a valid cause of action though so you would want to take all of your paperwork and sit down with a local lawyer for an interview to see if he can spot anything they did that wasn't in accordance with their procedures.