Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

Our son has ADHD. Our son's Dr. recommended IEP

Customer Question

Our son has ADHD. Our son's Dr. recommended IEP in which school got a copy of with our request to have him accessed for learning disabilities.
Here is what our letter on 12/1/15 to the school counselor read:
"I would like to request Special Education Services for Dawson ... due to hs ADHD. I do have a written recommendation for an IEP from Dawson's doctor which I will bring to the office today. Please let me know of any additional requirements to start the process as soon as possible.
Thank you so much for your patience and understanding:)
Sincerely,"
The school instead held SST meeting 70 days later on 2/9/16 and determined no testing will be given for IEP. Instead, school psychologist recommended removal of the words "teacher discretion" from original 504plan. The words "teacher discretion" were not ultimately removed because teachers did not agree with psychologist recommendation. Nothing effective to help my son stop being discriminated against due to his lack of memory and Innatentativeness and behavioral issues. School year ends 5/26/16. Where do I go from here?
Tish
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry you had such an unfavorable result. When folks come to a site like this I really hate giving advise like "hire an attorney" - but if you can afford one that you be the absolute best thing for you. A skilled education attorney can navigate this process significantly better than a lay person, and would be tremendously helpful. Otherwise, you need to find out the school's appeal process and pursue that. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so.