Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I am in a PharmD program expected to graduate however I failed

Customer Question

I am in a PharmD program expected to graduate however I failed a couple of classes which I am willing to retake but my school is forcing me to graduate with Bsc pharmacy. How can I appeal to stay on the program
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This decision is solely the discretion of the school and the dean of the school has the final say over the committee's determination. So, in order to appeal this decision, you have to focus on your facts supporting your position and explain to the dean why the Bsc is not a viable option and why you should be allowed to retake the couple of classes you failed. It is up to you to convince the dean that if you are allowed to retake those classes you would pass them and successfully complete the program. These decisions are subjective and discretionary to the dean and cannot be reviewed by a court, so your goal in your written appeal is putting sufficient facts into your appeal to support your position that you are qualified to continue and that you would successfully complete those couple of classes if allowed to remain in the program. If you have any good cause reasons for not passing those couple of classes (health issues or emergency immediate family issues etc) then you need to explain those to the dean as well as mitigating factors for your poor performance in those classes.
Avoid accusing or blaming the instructor for your failure, because blaming the instructors immediately turns off the dean and puts them on the defensive to support their committee decision.