Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

My child 8 was at school one day at PE he was upset at his

Customer Question

My child 8 was at school one day at PE he was upset at his grammer teacher so he decide to try to walk home he made it mile away from the school a stranger picked him up and thank god they brought him back to the school and didnt kidnap him by the time he made it back to the school roll call had been taken again and the teacher did not bother to check with the coach our the front office to find where her student was.my kid could have been kidnapped and killed and still no report by the school had been taken place.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The school is liable to watch over the children "in loco parentis" and had any harm come to your child for them not watching over him and taking proper roll call. In this instance, with no actual harm coming to your child, the case has no monetary damages, but it is indeed grounds for you to file a complaint to the school board and have action taken against the coach and teacher for not properly supervising students.
When incidents like this happen, the school boards take them fairly seriously and usually implement new plans and policies to stop this from happening again. So your next step is to your Parish School Board and file a complaint and also to the news media, because the last thing the school board wants is bad press and then doing nothing to correct the incident.