rayanswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years representing children and parents.

I teach in North Carolina . My friend who has taught 13 years

Customer Question

I teach in North Carolina . My friend who has taught 13 years (non tenured) was told that they could either accept being on a mandatory plan, resign, or be nonrewed. She has worked in this district four 5 years. This is the second year at school she is currently at . The prior year under a different principal she had good standing. This current year she is working under a new principal. The assistant principal gave her an average evaluation of first observation. Walk -throughs and emails by the principal were positive until the principal observed her in December . She had some areas evaluated as developing. Then, 4 weeks later was her last observation "super observation" done in low performing schools. 4 areas had developing areas. The principal said this would count as your last if you had 2 prior. My friend was placed on a coaching plan. She did all that was asked . Then, the principal decided to put her on a direct plan in another area of concern. Human resources says that because there were 4 areas of development on super observation , she was given these options. First is this correct about the how the one super observation can cause this? Second any recommendations are appreciated. Thank You
Category: Education Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. I am so sorry about your friend. I would have her file an EEOC complaint here claiming age discrimination.It sounds to me like a lot of this is "smoke and mirrors " kinds of issues to try and replace her with a younger teacher.
he Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects certain applicants and employees 40 years of age and older from discrimination on the basis of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, or terms, conditions or privileges of employment. File here
Consider a lawyer to contest this matter, age discrimination protects her from being an at will teacher.
Employment lawyer here. I truly wish her the best.I think they are making this up to cover up the real reason of age discrimination here.