Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My daughters teacher berated her in front of her entire class

Customer Question

My daughters teacher berated her in front of her entire class last week. Told her she was a disgrace to the school, community. Told her she was pathetic and then stated that she needed to find someone to replace her in life.
My daughter went home and attempted suicide. The police will not help me. I want to press charges, and I want him to pay for his words.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am so sorry to hear of this matter. I trust your daughter is doing well now. There would not be any criminal charges for this - as there is no law that covers inciting a suicide or attempt. However, I suggest that you could consider a civil lawsuit for deliberate intent to inflict emotional distress. IF the teacher was well aware that your daughter was on meds for depression, it is possible you could sue him. I suggest he also should be disciplined with the school and if that is termination that would be in school policy. If you want to consult with a local attorney, I suggest you can use the Washington state Bar Association for a local referral service.If you click onto this link you can then locate your county Bar Association and request a legal referral service.Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.