Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.
10285032

I applied federal student loan discharge due to a

Customer Question

I applied for a federal student loan discharge due to a disqualifying status. I had a felony drug charge at the time I attended college and receive my degree in criminal justice over 10 years ago. My student loan was in default, now I am paying on on it. I filled out the application for discharged and sent all the proof to my loan servicer. The loan servicer sent a letter stating that I need proof that the School knew at the time about my disqualifying status. Its been well over ten year and I don't know how that is even possible. My question is, what can I do.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to get some proof from either the Dean of the school or the registrar of the school by getting a copy of your application to the school to show that you disclosed the felony conviction on the application when you applied for admission. If your application for admission shows that you disclosed the felony conviction, that would be the proof that you need. If the records are not available, then you are in a very difficult position unless you can get a letter from the dean or registrar to state that you did disclose the felony when you applied for admission into the program.