Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in general practice,
7286322

My son (in kindergarten) was bullied repeatedly (verbal,

Customer Question

My son (in kindergarten) was bullied repeatedly (verbal, pushed, spit on and finally strangled) by one of the teacher's kids and the school refused to address the issue and we asked for separation of the boys until a solution could be obtained. This has gone on for 6 months until the final assault which resulted in our keeping our son at home. School (private) refuses to acknowledge there is an issue and instead has encouraged us to withdraw our son from school. We have 3 boys at the school (pre-k, K and 2nd grade). The director threatened us that if we continued to push the issue that our contracts for next year are on hold. We are in the state of Colorado. Please help!
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I am sorry you are going through all this trouble. I have been an attorney for 26 years and in the field of Education for over 16 years.

Since this is a private school, contract law controls. You need to look carefully at your contract and any student/parent handbook to see if there is anything in writing which addresses what they should do and what they have failed to do. If you attach your contract here and/or your school handbook, I will review these for you.