Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My daughter tried out yesterday and although she has been

Customer Question

My daughter tried out for cheerleader yesterday and although she has been cheerleader before she did not make the squad. I had words with her coach before these tryouts about a total different subject like a month ago. I believe this is the reason she did not make it. She is a great student and is never introuble. Do I have the right to see my daughter's cheer scores?
JA: The Education Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Education Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She has not been allowed to participate in track although she made the shot put team. My husband and I have kept quiet about this because we did not want it to affect her chances at cheer. Several girls that made cheer have been introuble at school. I believe my daughter never had a chance because of this.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Education Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Sam replied 7 months ago.

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. I am sorry to hear of this situation for your daughter.

I suggest you begin with the school principal and request to see her scores as well as the guidelines for who may participate in these type of activities. If the principal does not help furnish the scores, then you should consider making a freedom or information request.

Here is a link so you can read about the FOIA and also click onto your state for a sample letter. Should you find out that the coach did not follow the guidelines ie other girls who have been in trouble or with poor grades making the squad before your daughter, then I suggest you consider consulting with a local attorney to discuss a possible discrimination matter.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.