Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney handling education matters.

Can I prevent my private pre-school in sharing information

Customer Question

Can I prevent my private pre-school in sharing information (assessment) with my son's future public elementary school?
Category: Education Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that under the Federal Educational Records Privacy Act, FERPA, the schools (private or public) may share student record information for a legitimate purpose related to education. So if a student is transferring to another school, a parent cannot prevent the sharing of that student information with the new school as the new school has a right to request and receive the information. Now, if the private school does not want to share it, that is up to the school, since the school owns the record, but the parent cannot stop the school legally from sharing the assessment record.